Complete the Fall Risk and Cognition Assessments Case Study, including the Hendrich II Fall Risk Assessment available in the Resources folder.
Complete the Mini-Cog screening (see Borson, n.d., in the Resources section) and the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI; see Buysse, Reynolds, Monk, Berman, & Kupfer, 1989, in the Resources section) to develop a comprehensive assessment for Mrs. L.’s risk of falling.
Develop a one-paragraph summary describing Mrs. L.’s risk for falls.
Create one goal for each category.
Fall Risk and Cognition Assessments
Mrs. L is an 89-year-old widow who lives independently in her home. She drives, and she is an avid quilter. Her daughter lives within 2 miles and checks in daily with Mrs. L by phone or in person.
Mrs. L has been admitted to your hospital with the diagnosis of R/O pneumonia.
Her past medical problems include the following:
· Bilateral hip replacements
· Detached retina × 2 (right eye)
· Orthostatic hypotension
· Falls at home × 1
· Urinary frequency
· Insomnia (sleeps about 3 hours per night)
Mrs. L takes no medication, “not even an aspirin.”
Mrs. L uses her call button frequently to request assistance to the bathroom. Upon rounding, her nurse found Mrs. L on the floor, having crawled out of her bed with the side rails up. She was assessed and was found to have no injuries. Her gown was wet with urine. When asked to describe what happened, Mrs. L stated the following: “I called for help to the bathroom and no one came. So rather than wetting the bed, I managed to crawl over the side rails. I slipped on the floor trying to get to the bathroom.”
1. What are Mrs. L’s known risk factors (in the hospital) for falling?
· Medical conditions
· Unsafe behaviors
2. Using the Hendrich II Fall Risk Model (
), determine Mrs. L’s fall risk score.
3. Mrs. L states she is “plagued by insomnia.” Using the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (
), measure Mrs. L’s quality and patterns of sleep. Could Mrs. L’s sleeping pattern contribute to her risk for falls? What actions will you take based on your analysis?
4. Mrs. L is asked to complete the “Clock Drawing” portion of the Mini-Cog (
). She draws the clock showing 3 PM. Her drawing is missing the numbers 3, 4, and 5. One clock hand is pointing at 9 and the other is pointing at 12. For the “Three Word Recall” portion, Mrs. L remembers two words. What is her Mini-Cog score?
5. Having assessed Mrs. L’s fall risk and her cognitive state, develop three safety goals for each of the following:
· Environmental and equipment
· Gait and mobility
· New medications
· Anxiety, depression, and unsafe behavior
Copyright © 2020 by Jones & Bartlett Learning, LLC, an Ascend Learning Company
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.