Draft for Gerontology, aging in america. Instructions are provided. Due Wednesday, May 25th at 10pm Western Time.
Please pick a topic that pertains to african americans and aging
Gerontology Research Paper:
Diversity of the Aging Experience
This assignment is an opportunity for you to research a topic of interest to you in
gerontology that represents a unique aging experience.
1) The first step is to select a unique group on which to focus. For example, you
could pick a region (e.g., Latin America or Japan), a culture/ethnicity (e.g.,
Hmong culture or Mormon culture), underrepresented/minority group (e.g.,
LGBTQ+ or Black/African American older adults in the U.S.), or unique
experience (e.g., aging in prison or while homeless).
2) You will need to formulate a specific question about that particular aging
experience (e.g., What are the most common chronic diseases? What are the
complications of aging with certain conditions? How do families support their
aging loved ones in this community? How is long-term care provided?). Please
let me know if you are having difficulty choosing a topic or have other questions
about your topic.
3) Go to the Gerontology Research Guide: http://research.wou.edu/gerontology
First, go to “Citation Help” and click on the Noodle Tools Guide for Students. If
you haven’t yet used Noodle Tools, it is a great way to start a research paper!
You can create a Google Document (linked to your wou.edu account) to draft an
outline of your paper, create notecards with notes from the articles you find, and
easily create your APA citations!
4) After you have explored Noodle Tools, go back to the Research Guide
(http://research.wou.edu/gerontology) and begin searching for articles on your
topic using the databases. I would recommend the one at the top, “Psychology
and Sociology Databases,” which searches across multiple databases in
psychology and sociology at once. It includes PsycINFO, Psychology &
Behavioral Science Collection, Family Studies Abstract, and SocINDEX. You
must use at least five peer-reviewed journal articles. Try to make sure they
are no more than five years old. You may use more sources for your research,
but at least five of them need to be peer-reviewed articles. Reports from
government agencies, such as the US Department of Health and Human
Services, are often helpful as supplemental sources.
5) As you begin synthesizing your notes and writing your paper, please keep in
mind the following:
● The completed paper should be 5-7 pages in length and double-spaced.
● Cite the references you use appropriately using APA format. The “ Citation Help”
in the Research Guide is the best place to go for this. Your cited works should be
included both in-text and in a separate reference page (not included in the page
● Use Times New Roman, Arial, or Calibri, size 12 point font, and 1” margins. Indent
at the start of each new paragraph; no line spacing in between paragraphs or
● Do not use first person narrative, personal experiences or anecdotes. This is an
objective academic research paper.
● You do NOT need a cover page or a running head.
Please organize your paper in the following format, including headings for each section:
● Introduction: In approximately 1-2 paragraphs, introduce your topic, provide
context, and state your research question. Be sure to address the following:
What is the unique aging experience you are exploring? What would the reader
need to know to understand your interest in this? What is your specific Research
● Findings: Write a summary/review of research/information from each journal
article that helps to answer your research question. This is essentially a literature
review. You might review one article at a time or you might divide this section by
topic and cite multiple articles for each topic. You are limited to TWO QUOTES.
● Discussion: Write an analysis of the findings. You should use your critical
thinking skills to make connections and generate ideas about the information in
● Conclusion: Write 1-2 paragraphs summarizing/concluding your paper.
Research Paper Rubric
fluency, and is
language has few
Uses language that
meaning to readers
with clarity, although
writing may include
errors in usage.
sources to fully
achieve a specific
clarity and depth.
information is not
yet synthesized, so
purpose is not fully
taken out of
etc.), so the
purpose is not
and theories; some
nces outside of
, but does not
but do not
and creativity to
limits of position.
evidence to reveal
to focus; provides
States a position
explanation, but not
are limited and/or
the complexity of
Does not state
a position, or
Use of appropriate
and types of
and reasons for
sources are clear;
cites and lists
in APA format.
number and types
of sources; cites
and lists sources in
APA format with
Uses over half of
the types of sources
and reference list
several errors, or
some are missing.
Uses less than
half of the
or are missing.
*Language from AACU Values rubric